Monday 20 May 2013

All of a flutter

As part of my Apprenticeship at Rolls Royce I go to Chichester College to do Upholstery. I am learning traditional and modern upholstery which I am thoroughly enjoying.
As most of my friends know I am obsessed with Butterflies! For my modern project I wanted to create something vibrant and fresh. I fell in love with a bright striped fabric in Fabric Warehouse and was delighted to see a giant butterfly stamp (Swallowtail) in the 2013 Spring/Summer Catalogue. I used this stamp on plain green and purple cotton, I tested out the inks to see if they would rub off under water- they didn't- so I used them to stamp the butterfly in matching colours. I used the same shape Butterfly from the stamp to create the giant Butterfly for the back of the chair; I quilted and decorated this with sequins and beads. I finished off my chair with rouched piping, i really think that this has a lovely effect- I have been told it looks like a caterpillar running around the edge of my chair.
My chair will be for sale from the beginning of July; Contact me for more details :)
To this!
Here is my creation-
From this-

And the back!


Up close with the Butterflies
Rouched piping
A trail of Butterflies

No comments:

Post a Comment